Sunday, January 23, 2011

In My Mailbox {2}

Sunday, January 23, 2011
Welcome to my second edition of In My Mailbox. I decided Sundays would be better for this post so here it is! I went a little crazy at the library this week. I couldn't help myself seeing all the good books on people's blogs I just had to go and rent a few. So here are this weeks In My Mailbox books.


Library
Tricks - Ellen Hopkins

I have read a few other novels by Ellen and Tricks is one of the few that I have yet to read so when I saw it in the library I knew I had to get it to read. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads

"Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is all that can happen when those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons. "


Looking For Alaska - John Green


This is another book I've been meaning to read for some time. I've read An Abundance of Katherines and I just loved it so when I heard of this one it was put on my To Be Read list and now I finally get to read it. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.


"Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. "


Evermore - Alyson Noel


I have been hearing a lot of hype over this book and just couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. So I saw it in the library and knew it was something that I needed to read. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.


"Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch.   Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste… 
Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition.  He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets.  Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head.  She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is.  Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies."

Kiss of Life - Daniel Waters

I just finished reading the first in this series Generation Dead and when I saw it in the Library I just had to get it. I am dieing to know what happens with Phoebe and Adam and the rest of the "Differently Biotic" kids in the second of this series. If you haven't read the first one DO NOT READ THE SYNOPSIS SPOILER ALERT but here it is for anyone that has read Generation Dead, from Goodreads.

"The phenomenon that's been sweeping the country seems to be here to stay.  Not only are the teenagers who have come back from their graves still here, but newlydeads are being unearthed all the time.  While scientists look for answers and politicians take their stands, the undead population of Oakville have banded together in a group they're calling the Sons of Romero, hoping to find solidarity in segregation.

Phoebe Kendall may be alive, but she feels just as lost and alone as her dead friends.  Just when she reconciled herself to having feelings for a zombie -- her Homecoming date Tommy Williams -- her friend Adam is murdered taking a bullet that was meant for her.  Things get even more confusing when Adam comes back from the grave.  Now she has romantic interest in two dead boys; one who saved her life, and one she can't seem to live without."

Kindle
So I've had a giftcard for amazon from my Aunt from Christmas and I just didn't get around to spending it util this week and I got some amazing books with some great deals too!

The Dark Divine - Bree Despain

This is another book that I have been hearing amazing reviews about and just couldn't wait to read. I actually got this book for only $2.39 saving almost $17 which to me is an amazing deal. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.

"Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood. 

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother. 

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul."

Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins

I have been wanting this book for so long but it's almost $20 to buy it new because it's still in hardcover at my Borders so I knew this was one I would have to be buying for my Kindle because you don't have to pay for printing. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.

"Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her."

The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan

I'm actually kind of sad to say that I now own this book. I've read the entire series up to this novel and I know I'm going to be depressed once I'm done because it's been such an amazing series and I never want it to actually end. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.

"All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. 

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time. "

Stray - Rachel Vincent

I honestly hadn't heard of this book or series until I signed up to do the January 2011 reading challenge for a group I am in on Goodreads but after reading about it and knowing what it's about I'm excited to read this one this month. So here's the synopsis from Goodreads.

"There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . ."

For Review
Here are some of the books I received this week to review from different publishers.

The Vespertine - Saundra Mitchell

I don't know how to describe in words how utterly ecstatic I was when I received this book. I have already heard so many things about it and it just sounds so good I cannot wait to start reading it! Here's what the synopsis from Goodreads says.

"It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him. When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause."

Shine - Lauren Myracle

I love Lauren Myracle's Internet Girls series so when I saw this one I knew that I had to give it a shot. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads.

"When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice. "

What did you get in your mailbox this week??



In My Mailbox is an idea created by Kristi of The Story Siren and Alea of Pop Culture Junkie. Kristi is my role-model and I can't help but check her blog every day, so I suggest you all go and check out her blog it you are not already following her and Alea's as well because she posts some amazing crafts.

6 comments:

  1. You've got some great books there! Rachel Vincent is a wonderful author and I really enjoyed Hawkins' Hex Hall. Enjoy and welcome to the world of blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome haul! i see a couple of books there that i've been wanting to get my hands on and read for forever. you have a great reading week ahead of you... enjoy :)

    if you have time, i hope you stop by our IMM too.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read 'Looking for Alaska'. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books, l like the Evermore series =) and need to read The Dark Divine and Stray!
    Enjoy =)
    Books For Company

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome haul!!!

    Thank you for sharing :)

    New Follower!!!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Evermore. I need to continue with that series.

    The Dark Divine looks good, I'm hoping to get that sometime soon, maybe get it and The Lost Saint together when it comes out.

    I also liked Stray, I love the idea of Werecats. :)

    Have a blast with all of your lovely new books!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to comment below <3